via the later (1636) demi-lune
1590 Spanish troops, who had arrived to support the Duc de Mercoeur
(the Catholic Governor of Brittany) in revolt against the Protestant
King Henry VI, built the first citadel at Port Blavet, naming it Fuerte
del Aguila. Following Mercoeur's defeat, Port Blavet (now
Port-Louis) returned to French control in 1598 and the defences were
later restored and extended in the period 1616-36 under Marshal
Brissac and later Richelieu.
main gate and the spade shaped bastions are of typical Spanish style
and were the work of Cristobal de Rojas. The other bastions were
designed by Jacques Corbineau.
citadel was used as a prison and at one time incarcerated Louis
Napoleon the future Emperor Napoleon III
Citadel now houses the museum of the French East India Company (Musée
de la Compagnie des Indes) and three other small museums: Musée
des Armes Navales,
Musée de Port-Louis
et de la Citadelle and the Musée de l'Arsenal.
also History notes on Port-Louis